Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I don't know if it's better or not

because I haven't made a head-to-head comparison, and a CD player is much better about some things by design (like it's harder to flip albums like some kid with ADHD), but I'm pretty damned impressed/happy with my computer system.

The only upgrade I've ever made to my 2004 laptop, or am ever planning to, is getting USB hard drives -- I got 550GB more space for Christmas on two external hard drives, in addition to the 200GB one I already had and my crappy 80GB internal.

I also finally got a real DAC... I had been using a home-theater receiver's digital in as a stand-in until I could get one (improving my PC's sound was a very recent idea and I had to restructure a bit). Now my chain:

PC -> (USB) -> USB-to-S/PDIF adapter -> (coaxial) -> Monarchy DIP Classic (not sure if this is needed or not but I like having it) -> (coaxial) -> piggybacked Monarchy 18B DAC (a few generations outdated but it's cheap as dirt and sounds great. I could do better, but that's for the future).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.