Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed

I think I made it pretty clear that I personally consider the DAC the more important part of the package for my system, and said I wished they'd emphasized it more since that all the glorious sound wouldn't be possible without a good dac, and that I didn't personally use the software. Not sure how much more clear I can make it that with respect to the software, I don't use it myself - I went out of my way to state that one difference of opinion in my post. The reviewer and others on this board like the software - OK - I prefer without.

When reviewers speak of their "hobby" turning from audio to music, dropping magazine subscriptions, stopping the tweak-a-thon, etc - I found it most interesting that the same thing happened to me with the Bobcat as well. That's a level of satisfaction above nitpicking the component, something you don't often see even in a world where virtually all reviews are positive. It spoke volumes to me - I thought I emphasized that duly. That to me was the most important part of the review - don't often hear things like that, especially about digital.

I think one obvious explanation for why I may not - in my system (as I emphasized) need the software is one famous quote I'd heard about the Quad ESL 57's (from Stereophile I think) - that Quad 57's are for people who want their ears caressed, not beaten up - I found the extra caress the software placed softened things up a bit too much for my tastes - it was just fine without the software. But from my long unhappy history of CD ownership, it's clear to me the Daniel Hertz DAC is something special all on it's own - I was never nearly as happy with any other player. Just a theory though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.