Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: What formats does it support?

I'm not really a tekkie when it comes to formats, but the Burwen Bobcat is 2 pieces #1 is the software which is actually a plugin for Windows Media Player, meaning it only works with Windows Media Player, which I doubt plays FLAC. #2 is the DAC and in my system, windows recognizes it as a DAC without any special drivers, so anything I play though my PC plays through it. So if you use something other than WMP that does play FLAC, I assume the DAC will accept the output just fine - but you won't be able to use the Burwen software component (which I never use anyway).

I play MP3 internet radio, itunes downloads, and have used a variety of audio players like Jriver, Windows Media Player, itunes, winamp, foobar - all played perfectly well. I've never used FLAC, but if you have a player that plays FLAC I'm pretty sure the output to the Bobcat DAC would work fine because I believe the player does the conversion and outputs a standard 16/44 signal to the DAC.

I've never really experimented much because I like WMP for ripped CD's and I really like itunes for internet radio - so I've never really bothered with much else.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.