Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed

I agree wholeheartedly with this review - I've had the Bobcat for 15 months now and am sure it will be my last digital source as I'm no longer looking. I just can't figure out what any other source could provide that would make me enjoy music any more than I do now. I no longer read "all out of breath I love my new component" reviews on AA any more - when you've owned it for a year or more, then get back to me!

I think the reviewer would have been even more impressed if he had electrostatics to really feel the pace, timing, and soundspace - but that's just my bias after listening to electrostats for 20 years. My bobcat plays through a downstream that is largely invisible in my experience - the Creek OBH-12 passive pre and the Quad 303/ESL 57 combo which are really one unit in my mind. The more invisible your downstream system the more I think the Bobcat will shine.

I think he should have emphasized more that none of the reported sound would be possible without a fantastic DAC, and the Daniel Hertz DAC is just that. I don't use the Burwen software actually, on electrostatics at least it just didn't seem needed. As far as requiring WMP for the Burwen plugin, after trying Jriver with/without ASIO, and a couple other players, I still like WMP the best, bitcounting be damned. Jriver with ASIO provided more individualized instrumental lines, but they didn't seem to be all playing in the same orchestra. As the review states Best of all, it [the Bobcat] pulls all of these aspects together in a grand way where the artists are all jamming in unison. I was able to feed off the energy and connection between the performers in front of me - bingo - and on Quads that effect is surreal, utterly engrossing. Of course you can use any player with the Bobcat/Daniel Hertz DAC if you don't need the Burwen software (which runs only as a WMP plugin - I think there are other versions coming out that don't require WMP but I could be wrong - don't really care for my needs)

I think the bottom line is for the reviewer as it is for me - he states The stereo is now there for my pleasure. Before it was there for my "hobby". I also have let my subscriptions to the print magazines lapse. I don't feel badly about it. And I don't pine at the thought of not having the newest digital "thing" or format they might feature. I also don't look for digital tweaks to make the sound better or trick me into thinking it sounds better. I stopped buying equipment and magazines since I got the Bobcat - only ordering a Quad 99 CDP-2 as a DAC for non-USB sources since (actually to play my turntable through - long story) - and I suspect it will be ushered out the door soon enough.

I would suggest on the planar asylum that a digital source worthy of the Quads has finally arrived, but I fear too much religious intolerance - but if you're not religiously bound to analog sources I think the Bobcat will do you well with or without the Burwen software.

I see the price is now $1995 - 15 months ago it was $1500 - and bear in mind that my 15 month old software may have been improved upon by now - although they haven't emailed me offering any upgrades.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Burwen Bobcat finally gets reviewed - longtimequadowner 21:25:52 12/19/06 (11)

You can not post to an archived thread.