Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Quiet External Harddrive Experience...

I had posted a thread below about my search for a silent external hard drive. This is just a quick update on my experience since, which I though might be of general interest:

Following some of the posts here and reading up on Silent PC Review I tried the following two hard drives:

- Samsung Spinpoint T133 300GB in external Macally PHR100AC Aluminum Enclosure

Positives: Nice looking solid aluminum case, USB 2.0 and Firewire 400, 3 year HD warranty, spins down immediately when not used.

Negatives: Strong vibrations of HD are complete transmitted and not damped, intrusive LED.

- Lacie Porsche 250 GB USB2.0

Positives: Even better looking case, very small (only slightly smaller than a standard 3.5'' HD, spins down immediately when not used, nice orange/green LED.

Negatives: Only USB 2.0, only 1-year warranty, gets slightly warm.

As for the most important part: Given the good reviews on the "quiet" Samsung Spinpoint drives, I was a little disappointed. This one vibrates fairly strongly and worse the vibrations get completely transmitted by the case. I might try some damping but this will only get you that far.

The Lacie was the real surprise. Not only is it smaller and better looking but also much more quiet than the Samsung/Macally. Looks like Lacie is doing something right.

Needless to say, I will get a second 250GB Lacie Hard Drive. Both were about the same; about US$140. I can't believe nice external hard drives have become this affordable.

One final comment: Be careful when deciding on the bigger GB Lacie hard drives (true for Porsche, Brick, etc.): Most larger ones use a fan whereas the <300GB drives are fanless.

Thanks again to everyone here for their help - now I just need to get the remainder of my music server system set up.

Rene

Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derjenigen, die die Welt nicht angeschaut haben.
Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Quiet External Harddrive Experience... - restock 20:55:56 12/18/06 (13)

You can not post to an archived thread.