Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Made wood holder for DacKit

Photo

I didn't see anyone offering their woodskills for sale, so I had to take this on myself. Cost was $131.55 plus taxes, due to the fact that I had to buy a drill, miter box saw, 11 piece wrench set (hex screws turned out to be 1/2 wrench size), 3/8 drill bit, glue, clamps, and screws. I mean, I didn't have anything at all. Wood used was the "red oak" sold at Home Depot, for around $6.65. I wasn't going for a pretty look, just wanted improve sonics by getting away from the plastic ABS that the Scott Nixon DacKit uses. Time took around 2 1/2 hours. The glue isn't permanently fixed yet.

Complications: something was wrong with the sound at first. It's not something I can label sonically, just that it was disturbing, and not enjoyable. I thought that the wires/resoldering/stress needed time to settle in. Turns out a corner of the PCB had a little bit of glue on it and just needed to be pryed off the board for enjoyable sound to come back. Also, the front and rear panel wood, although very thin, were too thick to use all of the teflon ring separators for the RCA jacks.

More stuff: Haven't decided if I want to drill holes for the front LEDs yet. For mounting, I'll probably use the brass wood screws with 3 small chunks of wood as PCB risers. I'm guessing the easiest way to come up with 2 mm wood risers is to get a belt sander and sand it down.

Sound quality: good. Better than ABS. happy. Would recommend to others.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Made wood holder for DacKit - Adriel 15:57:49 12/18/06 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.