Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Slightly OT question about Jriver

Hi Thomas,

I'm currently using a Squeezebox but have become increasingly fed up with the SlimServer software. Every release is buggier than the last. Version 6.5 is unusable for me, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I currently have SlimServer installed on a computer with a RAID5 array in my spare bedroom. I use a laptop with a wireless network connection on a table next to my listening chair in the living room. I control SlimServer via the web interface on the laptop in the living room. So there is streaming from the server to the Squeezebox - a wired hop from server to router, and a wireless hop from router to SB.

Here's the configuration I'd like to have. I'm thinking of getting a Linksys wireless music bridge. I'd connect the S/PDIF out to the input of my Benchmark DAC1. I'd like to have server software on the RAID5 computer in the spare bedroom. Then on the living room laptop, I'd like to have a native Windows client app controlling the server in the spare bedroom. So for streaming, I want only one wireless hop - from router to music bridge. I looked at the Jriver site, but their documenmtation of this type of setup is confusing. It appears to be written in the context of using the server to play music on the client that's controlling it. But in my case, there would be three devices involved - the server, the client controlling it, and the wireless music bridge on which the music is played. I want to totally avoid multiple wireless hops here. Can Jriver accomplish this? If so, would I need two licenses (one for server, one for client)?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.