Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Whole House Audio System

I now have three rooms running on Squeezeboxes - and one running iTunes via USB, all four sharing the same hard drive and library. Each room has a system and an SB appropriate to the "value" I put on providing music in that environment. (musical triage if you will)

In some rooms the SB is the only source, in the living room its part of the HT rig etc.

Two are modded, one is pretty much stock

They can all be syncced to play together, or can all play separately. With a common interface, meaning that once you get used to it (and your family members do) they don't have to learn anything else.

For $250 a pop its hard to imagine that there is a more cost effective solution. Though admittedly the decision to cable the entire house with Cat 5 does a lot to make this easy. Frankly I am a bit skeptical of wireless.

As Steve (audioengr) points out, Airport Express provides a nice even lower cost option. And nothing says you can't mix and match.

Sorry but I haven't done any homework on Sonus and Roku, as a matter of course I would just stay away from any closed systems since the real power of this stuff is that it is based on inexpensive global standards and hardware.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Whole House Audio System - xmasparty@mac.com 20:09:16 12/07/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.