Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Easy RF Foobar Remote Control

Decided to start messing around with remotes, and played with some of the IR programs suggested on these very forums.

It all seemed like a bit of work to get it going, so tried one of those USB clickers commonly used for presentations.

It worked like a charm and was up and running in under 5 minutes.

Here is what I used:

All I did was go into Foobar and add 2 more hot keys. THe pictured device would send out only 2 keys: NUmber pad 3 and number pad 9. I simply picked what I wanted these keys to do when I added them. I picked volume down and volume up. Also clicked on the global hotkey box, so the volume would work no matter what program was running (this was on my regular computer, not the main rig, but I'm sure it will work in that application too.

NOw, I have a small remote that is RF and gives me quick volume control.

Here is a tip: The Targus unit has a 3rd button below the main 2 and this toggles what it does. In one position, I couldn't get any out put in the Foobar setup, UNTIL I toggled the output with this button...then it worked. It is possible to press this button and then the whole thing will not work...but pressing it again will bring control back flawlessly.

Upside: It is cheap, and can be found at Circuit City for under $40:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Targus-Presentation-Remote-PAUM30U/sem/rpsm/context/99001560/oid/75352/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I dig it because it is small and being RF based, I can point it were I want.

Downside: It only has 2 buttons to assign. IR remote solutions can do a ton more functions.

I just might buy this one and try it:

A bit more, but it has more buttons...Looks like 8...volume, fast forward, re-wind, mute, stop, pause...or anything I want really.

I'll let everyone know when I do. While I have a wireless monitor on the main rig, it would be nice sometimes to not have to find the stylus, wake up the display, and THEN slide the volume up or down, or pause, etc. It should be a no brainer for $40.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Easy RF Foobar Remote Control - Dawnrazor 23:18:53 12/03/06 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.