Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: What sound card or dac to buy?

No Frank, you have it all wrong.

Think of this as a Pre amp/ Dac, not a recording device, and you will see the value. IMHO, the PC with a Lynx card can be an awesome DAC/pre...WIth the L22, you have 2 additional things you can connect, and software to switch between. And AJ is right that you can use a remote for VC ( you can easily do this with Foobar too).

Do you balk at paying more for a dac with "uneeded" inputs? I mean really, why would anyone need more than 1 input on a dac??? But all the ones I have seen have at least 2 if not 3-4...Imagine what that Benchmark dac would cost if they just would get rid of all those inputs!!! Maybe $600 or so, but the few who would buy it would be unhappy soon when they wanted to connect more things. Face it, systems evolve, and needs now are rarely what they are in the future.

The lynx is well worth the money, and I would easily pit it against a more expensive stand alone DAC...it makes my $1200 Birdland piece sound out dated. Tuckers has said that he ditched his highly regarded Audio note for the sound of the Lynx.

Also, IMHO the Lynx with its 32/200 resolution is somewhat future proof, and while it does have some nice recording feature, you might just use them..I have already made a few recordings from some LPs that I had archived to a HIFI VCR tape. I was really glad the Lynx could make those recordings come to life.

Look, don't be pennywise and pound foolish. Buy good quality for those active monitors.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.