Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: What sound card or dac to buy?

Hi,

I own a Lynx card as well, but i also own a couple of different Creative cards and a couple of different M-Audio cards.

Professional mixer features in the software can be very handy for audiophile play-back, even if at first the features go unused. I have found the Lynx software to be very flexible in this regard. In my case, I am using a card with multichannel outputs so that I can run a digital crossover on the computer. The Lynx software allows me to reroute all sounds that any application to the inputs that the crossover software is using. It allows me to reroute an analog or digital signal from an external source to the same place. It also allows a global key combination to lower and raise the volume or mute the output. This is a big thing for me because it means that I can remotely control the volume with a bluetooth keyboard no matter what application has focus on the computer.

Using the computer as a digital crossover is probably not a common thing, but I imagine that in the near future PC based digital room correction will become more popular, and it will require similar mapping if a person wants to use more than one application for playing media or wants to feed the PC with external digital / analog sources.

While other lower priced cards have a subset of these features, I haven't found any other drivers/mixers that are as flexible as the Lynx. The Lynx also sounds better than any of the others I've tried, and is comparable if not superior to stand-alone audiophile DACs many times its street price.

Alan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.