Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Running onto Rockbox

Rockbox is an alternative operating system and interface for MP3 players and the iPOD. I think it's based in Linux, but can't remember. It's a free open-source project built by a number of enthusiasts to improve the experience of using digital music players.

Rockbox on an iPod has some advantages. It allows you to use more file formats than the ones Apple supports including FLAC. FLAC means Free Lossless Audio Codec, and it is a compressed but lossless audio format that shrinks the size of a music file to about 50% of the size of the original WAV. It is roughly equivalent to Apples Lossless format, ALAC, but more devices support it. People like to use FLAC because it is open-source and free of Digital RightS Management (DRM). It is not connected to Microsoft or Apple which some people like (and does actually increase compatability across devices).

The other things Rockbox gives you is the ability to manage your iPods music without using iTunes on your computer (which you can do anyways). And Rockbox is supposed to have a number of DSP and equalization settings that are superior to what comes with these players. And better battery management.

Having Rockbox on a device is a big thumb in the face of corporate music and is a bit rebelious. I would love to try it, but I don't want to spend the money on a new iPod. Maybe a used one. I use an iAudio X5 player which supports FLAC out of the box.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Running onto Rockbox - Tuckers 03:33:48 12/02/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.