Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

About the needless resampling (and other things)...

Do cheapie cards resample the line-in? I have a USB sound card (a Sound Blaster because it was the cheapest I could find...) that I use just for the line input for recording. I know that Creative cards resample to 48K analog or digital... do they also resample the input or otherwise crap it up somehow? I can't see why they would, but I can't see why they'd resample the output, either. Enquiring minds want to know...

I'd say the jury's really out on ASIO vs. kernel-streaming. I use ASIO2KS -- which, if I understand right, is really just KS anyway or at least isn't true ASIO -- with my USB-to-S/PDIF converter and it sounds better to me than the SB with the USB-ASIO driver. Might be placebo (and that's very likely), but it could just be that the USB adapter's putting out 44.1kHz/s for sure while that damned card might just be upsampling the data regardless (though the ASIO output options are 44.1, 48, and 96). In any case, it's not a total waste of money because the USB-ASIO driver works with the M-Audio Audiophile USB card, which I'm planning on getting sometime or another in the coming months. Maybe, maybe not; I'll see how happy I am with the DAC I'm getting and if I'm perfectly satisfied I'll nix that.

From what I understand, the Audiophile has its own external power supply. Is there a big difference from using USB power?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • About the needless resampling (and other things)... - Mark Tinordi 14:03:23 11/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.