Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Burwen Bobcat

I was very suspicious of the claims that the Burwen Bobcat made about improving the sound of a ripped CDs or MP3 as I voiced in an earlier thread. After thinking about this, I decided to buy the software and give it a try. After all, if we use upsampling filters such as the SRC, or hardware like the dCS, perhaps the Bobcat would be a positive factor in digital playback.

After listening to this software for the last several days, I am prepared to say that it does what Burwen claims. And it does the job extremely well.

I have compared selections using Foobar2000 (ASIO) 0.8.3 and 0.9.4.1 with the Burwen Bobcat –WMP 11. I also used the current Winamp Pro and J. River, both with ASIO plugins.
I ripped the CDs to WMA lossless.

In every case, the Bobcat processed files were superior. Less grain, better control of the bass, deeper bass, significantly more open highs with much better definition. The midrange had a greater sense of ease with no loss of detail. The soundstage had a greater sense of front to back depth with better focus. There was no compromise of dynamics using the Bobcat. The setting used on the Bobcat was “Basic 3”. This setting is the most neutral. "Slightly wider image, neutral tonal balance, more air and space. Makes all program sources smoother and more musical with very little change in the balance of sound."

Once you listen to the Bobcat for several days, it is tough to listen without it. The reduction of grain and sense of “ease” to the sound is significant. I had to force myself to listen to the Foobar player.

I did find that I had to increase the input on my preamp to +6dB to match the Foobar (ASIO) output.

The equipment used was a Wavelength Crimson USB DAC, Levinson 32 preamp, Levinson 33H amps, and Wilson WP7s with the Wilson Watchdog.

Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Burwen Bobcat - Mercman 13:14:12 11/25/06 (31)

You can not post to an archived thread.