Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: "passive" vs "active"

Hi Christine,

I am confused by the following statements:

***"The main advantage of bi-amplification is that multi-driver speakers present a complex impedance load on the amp. Amplifying each driver separately greatly simplifies the "load" being presented to the amp, and hence allow the amp to more precisely control each driver, achieving higher damping factors for the woofer and better preserving the delicate high frequencies of the tweeter."***

***"If you accept the above explanation, then filtering post amplification simplifies the load further, thus even better results. However, filtering prior to the amp is not necessarily an improvement, since it's not the complexity of the input signal that challenges an amp, it's the complexity of the output load."***

I think I understand the first statement, but don't see the logic of how it leads to the conclusion in the second statment. I must not understand what "filtering post amplification" means, because the only way I know of doing that in a speaker would be via the speaker's passive crossover. From the first quoted statement, I would think that an individual driver would present a more benign load to an amplifier than an entire crossover network. How else does one filter post amplification if not via a passive crossover network?

Thanks,
Alan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: "passive" vs "active" - aljordan 05:45:50 11/22/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.