Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Just one? :o)

Dawnrazor:

"I think there is one possibility you missed."

Actually I missed more than one. :o)

With multi-amping (2/3/4 way etc.), you can have passive filters after and/or before the amps, and "before" the amps there is also active/analog and active/digital, where active/digital could be in a PC or in an outboard DSP based unit.

The easier way to think about it is when you only have ONE AMP. No matter what you do then, you're bi-wiring / tri-wiring.

Multi-amping as Christine has done (passively on the ouput using parallel networks) is a great way to go. Each passive network gets it's own amp circuit back to the wall plug, thus greatly reducing (if not eliminating) the IM distortion that the all-too-common method of daisy-chaining multiple passive networks on one single amp can cause. It's also a great idea for people who NEED to have SET amplification, but also have speakers that employ parallel networks. If you're a 300B maniac, you can bi-amp or tri-amp your system, meaning you can get 16 or 24 WPC instead of just 8 watts - but you need to spend three times as much! :o)

"But honey, I need to get six 300B monoblocks. Christine is multi-amping, why can't I? C'mon... PLEEEEASE?!?"

Now we just need a solution for our friends who are stuck with series crossovers! ;)

Anyways, back to work. My ass is grass today and the boss in the lawnmower.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just one? :o) - Presto 10:31:41 11/21/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.