Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Apple Airport 24/96 or 20/88.2

Gordon,

Thanks for the response. I'm using a toslink out of the Airport, with a Musical Fidelity Trivista DAC 21 (in a couple of secondary systems, I'm not using a DAC, but I'll probably upgrade at some point). The DAC 21 doesn't indicate the speed of the input. It just has the option to output at 96KHz or 192KHz.

What do you think about my setup using a combination of multiple airports, iTunes, and multiple mac laptops to control the audio? The best option seems to be to stick to apple lossless files and use the airports (or maybe experiment with squeezebox or some other alternative). I have three mac laptops in the house, and one is usually close by, so it is easy to access a shared iTunes collection through the laptops. I'm planning to set up one laptop with a large iTunes library and use the share feature to access it through the other laptops in the house. I've read about your suggested setup, with a mac mini connected directly to a USB DAC, but that option sounds less flexible than an iTunes server wirelessly connected to multiple setups in the house. Nevertheless, I'm sure your recommended setup results in the best possible sound quality.

I can create 16/48k AIFF files with the ML-9600. I'll do a comparison with the 16/44.1k apple lossless files and see if there is any difference.

I've been creating 20bit 88.2k files on the ML-9600 and then using those as the source file to create 16bit/44.1k CD's. From a technical standpoint, do you think it makes any difference whether I record initially using 20/88.2 or 16/44.1, since the final copies will be 16/44.1? I noticed John Ellison on the vinyl board suggests initially recording in 20/88.2, but I wonder if it makes any difference.

One last question. Do you deal with vinyl to digital transfers? If so, what is your preferred transfer method?

Thanks,

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.