Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: If you are into convolution

Hi Christine:

Thanks for the well thought out reply. You got me thinking too.

If one is only doing 2 channel 'effects' then I am sure that using a good VST plugin for Winamp is the way to go. Unfortunately, if you are tri-amping like me and using a 2-in/8-out VST plugin like the Thunueau "Allocator and Arbitrator" (crossover with phase correction), you need a VST shell/plugin that is 8 channel capable. According to Jan at Thuneau, the VST plugins he has tried for Foobar did not have more than stereo functionality, and the same *could* (is likely) true for those written for Winamp.

What does this mean? Well, it would mean one would need to run a VST plugin (host) for winamp for the VST convolver and THEN use either the supplied VST shell for the Allocator OR use a SECOND vst host.

Now, if one DID go with a stand-alone vst host like Audio Teknika's 'Console' or Spin Audio's 'Virtual Mixing Console', then you could simple run multiple/simultaneous VST plugins, i.e. run the convolver VST pluging AHEAD of the Thuneau 2in 8out crossover.

In any case, you are totally correct. One does not need to use the 16 bit Realreverb convolver for Winamp *if* the VST convolver that is available prooves to be a better solution. If one is already using an external VST host that can handle multiple plugins (i.e. like some Allocator users including myself), this is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the insight Christine.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.