Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

foobar 0.9.4.1 and ASIO Virtual Device ??

I'm fairly new to foobar. I've been using version 0.8.3 for the last 6 months and have enjoyed experimenting with the different ASIO plugins available as well as comparing the difference between 16/44.1 with 24/96. All this with an M-Audio Audiophile USB.

Anyway, I figured I'd give version 0.9.4.1 a try and see how that ASIO compares (since there is only one version). But I'm a little confused. Am I supposed to set up the device under "ASIO Virtual Devices"? I was little perplexed because of it being labeled "Virtual Device". My device is an "actual" device. Is this some sort of simulated ASIO? Anyway, I went ahead and setup a virtual device and selected it under "output", but there is no where to change bit depth. Also, if I change the M-Audio control panel from 16/44.1 to 24/96 then music from foobar still plays. With version 0.8.3 I would have to change the bit depth and sampling frequency in foobar or else it would not play (and give me an error). This sounds to me like 0.9.4.1 is still using DirectSound or else it is somehow automatically changing the bit and sampling based on my M-Audio control panel settings.

Any clarification on this would be much appreciated. I dare not ask these questions at the hydrogenaudio forums for fear of being lynched and banned. (You're not allowed to suggest different ASIO versions sound different nor that ASIO sounds different than DirectSound nor that 24/96 sounds different)

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - foobar 0.9.4.1 and ASIO Virtual Device ?? - edward 21:54:08 11/19/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.