Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

For your situation

I'd recommend VBR files. Read mls-stl's for more information -- the main "issue" I've had with these files is that poorly-encoded ones can display wildly inaccurate track times and bitrates. There are free programs out there that can fix the header automatically for you so that they show the right information. This has only happened to me with MP3s; I don't know if the same problem applies to WMA.

If you can't tell a huge difference between a lossy and lossless files, and especially if you just want them for transfers to your player and not for hi-fi listening, go with the lossy format. Ears (mine, at least) adapt very quickly to changes in sound quality, which is why portable CD players sound awful at first but become perfectly acceptable by the end of the first track. If there's but a slight difference between lossy and lossless, you won't notice it if you go entirely lossy and don't have a reference copy to make comparisons to. Comparison testing can often be overly analytical like that, and ears do adapt quickly. I'd imagine you wouldn't notice the difference at all if you weren't comparing the two head-to-head.

If you're ripping for hi-fi or for backups, though, it's a no-brainer: go with lossless. Make a second, lossy copy for your portable player.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • For your situation - Mark Tinordi 07:59:48 11/18/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.