Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: constant vs variable bit rate

Constant bit rate encoding is the more common method of lossy encoding. However, variable bit rate encoding offers the potential of higher quality for a given file size. A demanding section of music may require a very high bit rate (say 256 or 320 kbps) while a section of silence may do with a very low rate, but the average is often lower. Another drawback of VBR encoding is that since it is more complex, the encoding process tends to be slower. You may also have issues with some playback systems and VBR files (though that is more indicative of poorly designed software or equipment.)

Only you can make a decision as to whether a lossy format is worth the reduction in file size. While lossy files are fine for many casual listening situations (the car, portable players, etc.) I find the difference quite audible on my home system. With the cheap price of hard drive storage these days, the loss of quality simply isn't worth it for me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: constant vs variable bit rate - mls-stl 20:43:32 11/17/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.