Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I was just long overdue for one of my rants.. :P but...

Quiet earth:

You know, in many ways we're being submersed in mediocrity caused by a lust for all things cheap and all things fast. We want it all, we want it now, and we want it for $1 - and companies are doing it! They're selling us cheap fast garbage for $1, and as a society, we're buying it. Lossy music and the love of the MP3 and file sharing is a prime example.

But I can think of a notable exception:

If you go to a modern movie house, there are all kinds of changes that differ from a old-school theatre. There are no longer two sloping "aisle ways" but they actually added 2 sets of STAIRS cutting through the seats. Imagine - they decided to add the liability of (sometimes intoxicated) moviegoers climbing up and down stairs in the dark because they needed to vastly increase the angle of the seating area. This was to accomodate the new "comfy seats" and to ensure that nobody would ever again have to concern themselves with the heads of the people in the next row. And the walls, floors, ceilings, and seats are all BLACK - because black offers no reflection of light and the least amount of distraction to the silver screen. How about the curved screen... a lot more complex and costly to implement, no doubt.

Why?

Because FUNCTION was important than FORM in the eyes of the creators of these new theatres. It was all about maximizing the experience of watching a movie - it had to be better than renting the DVD and staying home. It had to be better then joe-sixpack's 43" widescreen and Sony "Home theatre in a box". It had to be worth $13.50 per person!!

Now, if function can trump form in a public movie house, for me - it can trump it at home too. That does not mean I want a room that looks like the inside of a space capsule or an anechoic chamber. It just means that I won't apologize to anyone who thinks acoustic panels or bass traps are not "aesthetically pleasing" in my audio room.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.