Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Acourate is a slightly different animal...

Klaus:

Acourate is a crossover filter development tool. It is very powerful by the looks of things. It does NOT, however, act as a stand-alone convolution engine, but instead requires the use of the "Brute FIR" convolution engine. (BruteFIR is available from the Acourate site.)

The major difference between the two is that the Allocator uses IIR filters and Acourate/BruteFIR uses FIR filters. The FIR filters used in Acourate/BruteFIR are inherently linear phase and therefore transient perfect. The Allocator "Full" package comes with a "Phase Arbitrator" which uses special "correction filters" ("Arbitrators") that correct the phase response of the crossover filters without modifying the amplitude response, thus ALSO qualifying as a transient perfect crossover.

Of course, Acourate is a filter (crossover) design suite - where Allocator requires the user to have some knowlege of which filters he wants to implement.

Some prefer the "sound" of IIR filters as opposed to FIR filters. FIR filters have a phenomenon called "pre-ringing" which some associate with an "edge" to the sound. Myself, I'm not at the point yet where I would promote one or the other as a panacea. The fact that the Allocator is the best sounding crossover I've heard yet could be because it uses IIR filters OR for some OTHER reason. (I don't care at this point... I'm just glad it works!) So in fairness to Acourate/BruteFIR, I can't make a fair comparison never having used it or listened to it. But I have used different IIR/FIR filters in Foobar and so far, there is no going back from the Allocator.

My hobby dollar budget does not include for buying the Acourate setup this month, and my hobby TIME budget is getting slowy eroded as well!! ;)

I *will* try Acourate/BruteFIR one day. There is no question.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Acourate is a slightly different animal... - Presto 13:15:30 11/14/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.