Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Hi Alan!

Alan:

I'll post it from my laptop tomorrow at work. (The copy I have here is the AA copy, where the copy on my laptop was the copy I edited especially for the Thuneau site and has all of the text formatting script in it.)

I would be happy to repost it, but it may require a bit of editing. I've discovered quite a bit in the last 72 hours. I've been experimenting with *video* hardware acceleration settings (since VST plugins share resources with video cards!), audio card acceleration settings, Virtual Audio Cable and ASIO4ALL settings, and Foobar kernel streaming settings. Honestly, I think it's far better to have a higher-end card with a DSP based ASIO 2.0 compliant mixer onboard instead of using a pro-sumer "mixerless" solution with Virtual Audio Cable and ASIO4ALL. VAC and ASIO4ALL are awesome programs - but I am not sure they will be workable with the Allocator just yet. I am still searching for the "magic problem" but every time I think I got it licked, the click/pop problem sneaks back like a bad cold.

I finally got the M-Audio Card working. When I ran dxdiag (direct x dialog utility) I found that the M-audio card was showing "Full" for hardware acceleration. Hmmm... now do Envy 24HT based chipsets lack hardware acceleration JUST for Sensura/3D or in general? In any case, monkeying around with the dxdiag utility suddenly got my M-Audio (Envy 24HT chipset) card working. It sounds WAY better than the onboard Cmedia 9880 codec (no surprise there) but no matter WHAT I try I can't get rid of the clicks and pops. I've tried EVERY tweak and setting I could find/read about - and although I've been able to improve the situation drastically, the odd click/pop/dropout is still plaguing me. I'm heading back into my "lab" right after this post to do more tweaking yet.

Funny thing - I had the whole thing working with the C-media codec with no clicks and pops. I've tried to "go back" to the way I had the PC set up then, but to no avail. I'm missing something stupid and simple. I'll find it eventually.

Truth be told, I really don't much care if the Cmedia or M-Audio Revo don't work. The Allocator is the single best sounding digital crossover app I've ever heard - PC or otherwise - and I will invest in a card that is known to work flawlessly JUST for this progam alone. I've been holding off buying a high-dollar multichannel soundcard solution for good reason - the solutions up until the Allocator really did not have me convinced. In fact, I was about to give up on PC w/active and go with passive crossovers and just a stereo USB DAC. The Allocator changed all that! ;)

Much more trial and error, experimenting, listening, and reporting to come I am sure. I am hoping the Allocator site will grow into a vibrant community of PC Audio / DSP Crossover enthusiasts!

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.