Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Clicked on the wrong part of the screen and lost my post - dammit

You haven't said anything about the specs of your machine -

One - you wanna be sure the bios in an older machine - dependent on it's age and specs will support the larger drive - if you go back far enough, trust me, some motherboards are not going to support a drive that size.

Two - depending on it's age/specs/quality - If this was a quality motherboard ( and I don't mean big box retailer) nearing the end of Win98 product cycle, you may squeez some more life out of it - but it's probably not worth the effort

three - last experience I had with a funtionally obselete machine that I was working on for a friend that I owed a couple of favors - I wound up wishing I had just bought/built him a new box.

IMHO, if it's five years old or older - it's a doorstop or close to it.

If it's around 4 years old, I look at the configuration/usage carefully before I put more money and effort into it

Not counting software - you can buy a barebones Asus with 2.8 gig P4 socket 478, minimal memory, an SATA hard drive and be out the door for a little over $400 -

CAVEAT - I am prejudiced by my experiences and situation -

I keep eight boxes of my own running all the time and maintain three or four others. I no longer have the time, energy, patience or mindset to keep fooling with older machines.

Plus, it has been my experience/observation - that an older box that sits in one place doing one task and never fooled with will often run, and run and run.

You start pulling hard drives, fooling around with that same box, reinstalling a different OS, changing parts/cards, etc. - gremlins, and glitches start appearing and you wind up tossing it and moving on.

Sh!t - two weeks ago, I moved a roughly 15 month old bottom of the line DELL from the front office to a back office - got home, they called me - it wasn't working - Went back and checked it out and the damn motherboard had died.

Which is why barebones system prices are fresh in my memory _grin_

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.