Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: I use a MAC PowerBook running XP

Wow, now there's a creative solution. Gordon, you took my ill-formed ideas about a "laptop of the future" and presented a consolidated answer to most of my problems. I guess that's why you're the guru....and I'm not.

A couple of follow-up questions (though anyone should feel free to answer):

1. In that MacBook scenario, can I run *both* the Apple O/S and XP? If so, what is the minimum hard drive I should consider? MacBooks seem to come with 60GB, but 80GB is not much more.

2. Is 512MB really enough on the MacBooks? Should I opt for 1GB...especially if I'm going to run the piggy O/S known as Windows?

3. IS there an additional cost to purchase Windows XP on the MacBook? Or does BootCamp provide XP as part of the package pricing for the MacBook itself?

4. Gordon (specifically), do you like the Optical out on the MacBooks? From what I've heard/read, they're the only ones who seem to have implemented it reasonable well in a laptop configuration. I was wondering if you found it more or less effective than using a USB-out for your DAC implementations.

5. Are there any other caveats I would need to know to move over to this combo Mac/PC environment? I must say that flexibility might even be worth the few hundred dollar premium.....

Best, -dB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.