Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Try mikrosmooth

bobp, you haven't heard how good your are cd-r's yet! your equipment is capable of really high quality copies. the efforts spent on cabling & vibration control aren't 100% audible with an untreated blank cd-r.

try some mikrosmooth, it has a money back trial. So far Viva papertowels work best too, necessary. You rinse the yellow scouring pad from MS & shake it dry. Run a blank cd-r under the faucet & then dry off both sides from center out with the Viva...never circular. Apply mirosmooth in really small circles (wax on) then rinse real well & wipe center out again with Viva. i don't ever touch the optical surface except with Viva...the directions say to use your fingers.

take any 2 treated blanks and run them against one another, face to face - they'll be smoooth. then do the same with any 2 cd's, stamped or cd-r. the change is drastic. ignore the mfgr directions & try this method on a few blanks. folks have reported scratching discs when going by the directions...the wet pad & pre-rinsed balnk is the key.

mikrosmooth removes mfrgr'ing defects on the optical surface. error correction isn't needed, jitter is reduced (so i'm told) & the static is removed for the burn. i've used, at length, Optrix. don't like the sound it imparts though. it works well on the label surfaces though to remove static.

HHB blanks are good, but MAM-A Gold Audio Master 1x-12x are my fav right now. they are $1 each, but i hear rumblings of a loss in mfgr'ing quality. MAM-A was Mitsui & are made in the U.S.

i wish HHB golds could be purchased in bulk. i use normal silver taiyo yudens for most burning - they work & sound great.

for a 1x burner, you need cd-r engineered for slow speed burning. do not use a 48x or 52x cd-r in a 1x burner.

all other cd treaments that i know of add to the optical surface. Mikrosmooth is the only one that takes away. i haven't tried this yet, but my gut tells me that Jena labs & other new treatments would work better on mikrosmooth treated cd-r.

lots of tweaking left to do!

matt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Try mikrosmooth - mattcecil1@yahoo.com 13:23:30 11/05/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.