Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I would skip the soundcard

I prefer skipping sound card altogether and going for the following configuration:

- PC. If you can arrange to have it in an adjacent room, that is the best solution.

- USB to SPDIF converter ($30-$130).

You can buy M-Audio transit off the shelf or order custom adaptors. There is a HK vendor on ebay who sells chinese made adaptors for $29. You may go with German DDAC ($80) U.S.-built Hagerman ($130) or better,if money permits.

Converter should have regulated 5V DC power supply to avoid relying on USB power.

-the best DAC you can afford or already own.

I have inserted Behringer SRC2496 between USB>SPDIF converter and DAC. It reclocks the signal, amplifies it and upsamples to 88.2/96Khz
Some other dejitters/reclockers such as Jitterbug or Monarchy DIP can be used. Also, because coputer generated RFI can travel through USB cable I use glass toslink from USB/SPDIF converter to Behringer.
It assures full isolation between DAC and PC. Of course, DAC and PC have to be plugged in into different AC circuits on a breaker box.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I would skip the soundcard - bobp 11:38:50 11/03/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.