Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

PC/DAC options?

Hi Folks,

So I am thinking about a dedicated PC to just play audio on my system. I have an ASUS P4P800 which has a digital output that I could run into a DAC (maybe a used MF or Bel Canto) to feed to my pre. Has anyone done something like this? Would a dedicated system like the Sonos recently reviewed sound better (according to JA of Stereophile a dedicated DAC is a necessity for high-end sound with this solution)? I was also thinking that there could be a piece of software that could do a better job of extracting the data from CD since you could easliy run an app in the background which would send the output to the dig out. Anyone familiar if software like this exists? I know that Meridian runs some software/firmware on their CD players to get better sound from a regular PC cdrom drive... Also, what about a dedicated audio card that has audiophile DACs and output quality? That would simplify things immensely. What about playback? What software ARE people using for playback in a solution like this?

Lots 'o' questions but the convenience factor possibility is awesome.

Thanks,

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - PC/DAC options? - jmall 08:58:57 11/02/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.