Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

answers....

Hey larry,

Many folks like the Memorex or Pro Disc black CD-r...both are cheap in spindles of 50 or 100, about 20 cents each. I use Taiyo Yuden or when i have the $, MAM-A Golds. The TY's are 25 cents each and MAM-A's usually $1. www.shop4tech.com or www.rima.com

If you want incredible burning software, download the free trial of Alcohol 120%. i used it and REALLY liked it, though i haven't paid the $40 for the actual software yet. EAC is the norm for ripping.
I use Nero for burning & it doesn't hold a candle to the sound quality of Alcohol 120%.

difft types of CD-R's are only part of it though. as you know, you need to treat the blanks prior to burning. The Best product i've found is Mikrosmooth, but only when applied correctly. You'll reduce lots of jitter by using it right & your drives laser will work most effectively & efficiently. the key is keeping the yellow pad clean & moist + rinsing the discs before using MS. this way applying MS won't scratch or smear the optical face. I use the ionoclast, but you have the Clarifier which is probably better...

i can't help but think that putting clean & static free media into the drive will increase the useful life of the drive too.

a year or so ago i tweaked my home pc to make better music. In terms of burning & ripping you should try an upgraded cord going from the motherboard to your burner (assuming you're not using a laptop). www.granitedigital.com makes killer IDE cords for $30 or so.

last but not least, if using a home pc tower try a hi-end power cord on it. you'll hear the difference. Plus, if & when you go to an all HD based system, your pc will be ready to sing.

I schill for all the firms listed above, still waiting for my checks though :)

i've waxed poetic about these measures on other forums too, just do a search if interested.

matt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • answers.... - mattcecil1@yahoo.com 13:27:20 10/31/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.