Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

A generalization...it depends on the DAC (and info about a recent huge improvement)

I am a bit troubled by a generalization here. I think upsampling may sound better with some DACs, and worse with others. Let's remember that the DAC is the one that is turning this original data (and manufactured data, in the case of upsampling) into sound.

I've found that with a Benchmark DAC almost any type of upsampling to something near 110K improves the sound because the resampler in the Benchmark DAC1 (the one that resamples everything to 110K) is awful.

I've also found that upsampling using a Lavry DA10 DAC (which does not resample the input unless you want it to) makes it sound worse.

I did find that the Secret Rabbit resampler sounds slightly better than the standard one in Foobar2000 when using the DAC1, however. I highly doubt that I could tell the difference between them in a double-blind test though.

By the way, I made a recent change to my DAC that has a far greater impact than any other change I've made recently (e.g. Secret Rabbit vs. default resampler, ASIO vs. DirectSound, cable A vs. ultra-expensive cable B, etc.): I replaced the fuse with one of those Critical Link fuses now available from PS Audio (which are actually AHP fuses from Germany). Now THAT made a signficant difference in the sound!!! :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.