Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: source for mini-cable + USB DAC input

Hey--Thanks so much for the response!! That is a cool product. When I read your post I was imagining a mod to the Airport Express by simply changing the output type and keeping the existing case (hard to imagine as the case is so compact).

That looks like a cool product, but the price isn't cheap @ over $1k.

The Monarchy DIP solution even seemed a bit pricey. Seems like the "low cost" way to do this is to get 40' of USB cable and a USB-capable DAC (I need a new DAC anyway).

One concern I have about this is that it requires one to use iTunes. That's awesome -- and idential to my Airport Express -- but I've been thinking about getting a separate, basic PC with a wireless card (no monitor/keyboard) that I could locate close to a DAC and connect via USB. I could control the PC via my network, and I wouldn't be restirctied to iTunes. This solution would be (significantly) cheaper than the hotrodded Airport Express.

This does give me options, though. One could think about it as replacing a separate transport, which makes it even more palatable.

Did you like how it sounded? Was there any basis for comparison?

Thank you!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.