Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Hard to say what will happen

Logitech already has some wireless music systems - see here. I would expect some fancy remote technology to be integrated into the product line. That's going to be good. Maybe they're going after the marked Sonos serves, but with a much less expensive system. But the real question in my mind is, "Will they get rid of that POS SlimServer"? People over in the SlimDevices forums talk about the SlimServer open source development as some kind of great thing. I know that for some projects that is true. But SlimServer is some of the buggiest POS software I've ever had the misfortune to waste my time on. At first it didn't bother me, as my usage was simple and the software was only a little buggy. But my usage has become more demanding at the same time the software has become much buggier. I finally reached a breaking point with the 6.5 software (required for Transporter). I had to go back to 6.3.1, and that's the first time I've had to go back.

There's lots of SlimServer fanboys over in the Slim forums. I've often thought the complaints about SlimServer I've read in this forum were exaggerated, but after my most recent experiences with 6.5 I am solidly in the "SlimServer sucks" camp. They need to make a killer app with a native GUI that runs under Windows and Mac platforms. But Logitech is not known for good software at all. In fact, their software has a really bad reputation. At least it did the last time I bought one of their products, which was a few years back.

So where does this leave the computer audiophile? In the next year or two, I plan on moving from my apartment into a house. In addition to wiring it for gigabit LAN, I will probably run coax in the walls for S/PDIF, and use F-type connectors on wall plates to connect to my DAC from the computer. I'll just try to find a sound card that has transformer-coupled S/PDIF output and use that, with whatever music app works out best.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Hard to say what will happen - andy_c 21:19:00 10/18/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.