Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: 24/192 and 32/192! =) nt

Dawnrazor:

These files were created back when I had a functional trial version of Cool Edit Pro at my disposal. What I was aiming to do was to digitally record the ANALOG output of a universal player to capture some samples of SACD for my Audio PC.

So here is what I did: My M-Audio Revo 7.1 can record at up to 24/96. Cool Edit Pro did not HAVE an option for 24 bit (as far as I could tell) - the choices were either 16 or 32 bit. So I tried 32bit@192 kilohertz - more for the hell of it than any other reason. Now since the soundcard can only do 24/96khz, then Cool Edit Pro was likely doing some resampling (to 192khz) and dithering (to 32bit) of it's own "on the fly" in realtime during the recording process.

In any case, this is obviously not the optimal way to record - the way to go would be to use software that used the exact same bitdepth/samplerate as the hardware. But my intent was to make "decent" sounding but very large files to test CPU utilization - and to see if Foobar would play them.

I must say - even though there must have been some intensive "math-a-magics" going on for Cool Edit Pro to "create" a 32/192 file from a 24/96 capable soundcard, the end result was pretty decent sounding files. To record at 24/96 and resample to 32/192 after the fact would take WAY too long and tax my CPU way too much using the "Resample" program I have.

Foobar reports "32bit - 192kilohertz" in the "stats" box in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, and plays these files no problem. The only thing you would likely need to do in Foobar to play such a file is select "32 bit" under playback options in the Foobar playback menu.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 24/192 and 32/192! =) nt - Presto 09:29:08 10/03/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.