Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Whatever happened to Monkey Bones?

I will stay with just the R on the out put. I did find , for the 1704, I did not gain anything by lowering the R below 200 ohm.

Yeah, whatever sounds good to you is the way to go. To my dismay at the time, I clearly heard the sound get better and better as I lowered the I/V resistor value, but if you look at the output circuit of a ladder DAC it's no surprise that large signal voltages on the output would cause a reduction in dynamics and linearity. It's kind of like a form of negative feedback. 200 ohms is just too high in my experience, leading to 240 mV on the output. Most DACs have the voltage compliance spec'd someplace closer to 10mV for best linearity. But some people run them at even higher voltages, so ...

Sounds like you've got it working good now, just keep in mind that you may wanna again explore a lower value in the future. Or even a simple active circuit to get down below that 10 ohm level where the magic happens. I also found big gains with the 1704 when I tossed out their recomendations for bypassing since I don't use electrolytic capacitors in my circuit, but that's another story :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Whatever happened to Monkey Bones? - Slider 07:57:04 10/03/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.