Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

My thoughts on this whole pc audio mess...

Well after reading and reading and reading and reading and searching and searching and reading and blah blah blah this is what I came up with.....(because I'm basically going yonkers)

1. I currnetly listen to my music thru my stereo system(which is a 13 year old onkyo reciever and some DCM TimeFrame speakers)via a $25 soundblaster live 5.1 card connected to the receiver with a cable that has a 1/8" mini jack on one end(for the soundcard) and rca connectors on the other end(for receiver). This cable is 20' long. To me it sounds great.

2. There is so much freaking information and crap available thru the internet that sometimes I wish it didn't exist. It can make one spend wasteful amounts of money based on 'product reviews' and such. I find myself getting caught up sometimes(ok, alot)in wanting the 'best of' items(according to 'product reviews)in which I really have no idea about anyway.

3. Since I like how my current setup sounds, I will basically replicate it in a new smaller, a bit more queit PC. I will however get a little better soundcard based on all the aforementioned 'product reviews'.

So I've decided I will be going the Epia fanless route. I will be building my own tho as it will save quite a bit of money. Besides I like to tinker with stuff. This system will be very simple and when I finally get it done I will post back.

I just want to thank everyone for all your help and advice. It has helped my tremendously, if not just made me realize a few things.

One more thing I'd like to say is to all those who suggest buying premade units, or the minimac and say you won't save much money by building your own well, I think it depends on what you need in a system. I can easily build one at waaaaay less cost than buying premade.

Wish me luck!!

Ron

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.