Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: help with components for music server...

OK, so here's my 2cents.
I have been running an epia SP13000 in a fanless case from TranquilPC (T2)- The case is quite nice looking, and totally silent. I have a 200GB Samsung spinpoint drive in it that is the only noise generated, and it is barely audible. (unless the optical drive is active...)

The Epia is a little low on horsepower, but it can handle everything I've wanted to do. It wasn't very good at recording TV over USB while watching at the same time, so I gave that up as I mostly wanted it for music. Meedio, sage, and Xlobby have all run fine on it in XP. Myth was OK too, but didn't have what I wanted.

It works great for audio. I've never tried upsampling,but that shouldn't require as much horsepower as video processing. I just play FLAC out via an M-Audio Firewire interface, to a Lavry DA-10. It sounds very good. If I connect the digital to my Pre/Pro, the HDCD decoding even works on the FLAC that were ripped from encoded CD's. (so it would appear all the bits are getting out in good shape ;-)

The on-board audio is crap, but that's fixable. Otherwise the Epia boards are pretty darn good.

Ah, one thing to note was that using a USB audio device ate up noticable CPU bandwidth, so stick with Firewire or PCI if you go the epia route...

BTW, I might sell it soon to upgade to a video capable machine. email me if you're interested, or if you just have any questions...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: help with components for music server... - eclectic2k 22:18:25 09/29/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.