Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Whatever happened to Monkey Bones?

Not sure how much I can help since it's a very subjective topic that's been done a million times at sites like this, and there are many designs floating around, probably as many as there are designers since everybody in audio has their own idea about what sounds good and what doesn't, but as the poster formerly known as Monkey Bones I'll just make a couple mentions.

Some of the opamp designs can sound pretty good if kept simple, such as the venerable AD811. Not as good as simple discrete current mirror I/V, but it can be almost as good as a resistor and discrete gain stage. If you don't mind a capacitor in the path, a two transistor no feedback current mirror (with another couple transistors for the current source) could be used with no output stage.

Anyway, on your questions specifically, my favorite resistor type for about the last 10 years has been the precision bobbin wound type. I use them wherever I can, although they are very low power. Just about all other resistor types, including the bulk foil, use a ceramic core, and that seems to color the sound with a certain stridency, in my experience. The precision wirewound types are generally wound on two plastic epoxy bobbins, each in a different direction to cut down inductance. I think it's caled reverse pi. These bobbins are then covered in silicone rubber and epoxy encapsulated. Nice, smooth sound. No ceramic anywhere to give it that irritating harsh resistor sound that even Vishays have to a small extent. Not a drop-in replacement for all applications since they do have a little more inductance in the standard winding form, but imo very much worth re-engineering a unit to use them, if need be. Lots of sources, but relatively expensive in small quantities, although I think some by Mills are available from specialty places nowadays. Still widely available in the surplus market since they were much used in aerospace for precision circuits.

As far as designs go, more talk and some schematics here, but also search at the http://www.diyaudio.com/ forum. Haven't been there myself in ages but they used to have some very detailed design discussion threads.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.