Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: You have to let the Mac build a new library

If you still have access to your Windows system and have enough disk space, probably the easiest thing to do would be to start up iTunes under Windows and tell it to convert all your wav files to either aiff (uncompressed equivalent to wav files, but unlike wav files, all the tag information is stored in the actual audio file rather than the iTunes database) or Apple Lossless format. Then you should be able to copy the files over without any problems. I'm afraid just moving the iTunes XML file over to the Mac probably won't work (the pathnames are all hard-coded, I believe, which won't transfer, even if the file formats are compatible). Try it on an album or two first to make sure everything works reliably, then start up the conversion and let it go (could take quite a while if you have lots of files). If you're short on disk space, do the conversion in chunks. This isn't really a Mac vs. PC problem, you would have a similar problem moving from one PC to a different PC (unless you could keep the path names identical); it's a weakness of the way iTunes stores tag data for wav files. Fortunately, I discovered this important difference between ripping to wav vs. ripping to aiff before I ripped my whole library (I have moved my library back and forth between a PC and a Mac several times).

P.S.: To avoid having 2 copies of each file in every directory (one wav and one aiff/ALAC), first set the iTunes "Music Folder Location" (under advanced preferences) to a new directory (could even be a shared drive on your Mac, if you have the networking set up), THEN run the conversion. That won't move the existing files, but the converted files will go to the new location.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.