Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Depends a lot on the drive

A while back I did some experiments using EAC burst mode with two different drives. EAC burst mode does no error correction at all. I just gets the data off the disc as fast as it can. I did a "test and copy selected tracks" which does a test rip, computes the CRC of each track, then does the actual rip, re-computing each track's CRC. By comparing CRC codes of each track of the test and copy, you can get a good idea if uncorrected errors occurred. These were discs that I had already ripped in EAC secure mode. I used a combination of discs that ripped without event in EAC secure mode, and tried some that EAC had to work really hard at in secure mode to get the right data. With one drive, an AOpen COM5232AAH Pro, burst mode worked almost perfectly. The only time I ever got CRC mismatches was with problem discs that I delibrately picked out. OTOH, another drive, a LiteOn 5239S, using burst mode caused CRC errors on at least one track of every CD I ripped, even discs that weren't problem discs.

So if your drive has good error correction, you should be in good shape. If not, it's going to be difficult to tell if you have a problem or not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Depends a lot on the drive - andy_c 11:39:10 09/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.