Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Opinions on error correction ,,.. is it too late?!!

I guess there is no definite answer, so the classic IT reply applies here - it depends!

-It depends on the quality of the redbook Cds used for ripping. Even if not scratched, they might be with errors (CDs are stamped with plates that wear off and cause errors)

-It depends on the CD-rom used for ripping. Some are better, some are worse.

-It depends how good the rest of the system is and how attentive listener you are. Do not think of click and pops, think of removal of thin veil from the recordings.

Look, re-ripping of 800 CDs is awful chore and it depends how much you value your free time.

I would do the following. I would pick 40 redbook CDs at random from your collection (5%) and re-rip them using EAC with correction.

I would make a chart and list how many of them ended up needing correction.

If more than 20 (i.e. more than 2.5%) needed correction, I would
decide to re-rip the entire collection. If less than 2.5% I would keep it as it is.

Also, I would compare error-correction ripped CDs with previously ripped ones. Blind test, you listen, someone else chooses the tunes.

Last but not least, if I were to embark on re-riping chore, I would sit down and make a firm decision which format to use.

Perhaps going FLAC route is better in the long run. Have you heard of nasty watermarking ZUNO player is doing. Who knows what will MS do down the road. I would not choose to be their hostage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.