Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Good suggestions

There does sound like something is amiss in your system. It almost sounds like a virus. Try running Bitdefender online virus scan (it catches more viruses that any of the standard better known softwares).

If it's not that I wonder if there is a problem with a controller or something, though I have never heard of this happening with USB. Are you using an older system that does not support USB (or 2.0), so you are using PCI cards for USB?

I would also contact LaCie Support to see if they have a suggestion about their drives.

Here is a short list of what could be wrong, sorry it's so long!

- Failing disks (a symptom?)

- Failing disk controllers (why would it be both USB and internal?)

- Loose cards/connections (make sure all cards and connections are tight - you'd be suprised how many times this is the culprit)

- Virus

- A Driver/s in Windows is wrong or corrupt (reinstall Windows).

- Problem with memory or memory controllers (causes corrupt files that get written to hard disks, hard to diagnose or fix short of replacing memory and motherboard).

If it were my computer, I would check out the virus, then check the cards, then run a hard disk analysis utiliity, then try reinstalling Windows, then replace motherboard and memory (drastic).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Good suggestions - Tuckers 11:52:35 09/19/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.