Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Good suggestions

All of these are great suggestions. I don't have a problem with internal heat. My first internal media drive started getting corrupted files out of nowhere that would hang the whole system, though. The replacement internal drive is fine.
I don't have room in the case for any more.

The biggest problem I have is with USB. I had to get a dedicated 2.0 controller card (in addition to the dedicated one for my M-Audio 24/96 USB). However, I still wonder if USB is a flaky sort of connection. I never shut off a drive without properly "putting it away," but pretty often the computer just loses it.. like it ceases to exist and when I go to manage my computer it can't find it there to re-mount. Eventually, the data on the drive gets bad and it goes.

I'm a teacher with another part time job just to pay student loans. I can't afford a fancy RAID box, which is what I would do if I could. I'm afraid of my computer not being able to handle two USB drives since it always loses the one - but that's a more realistic backup option. I can not afford to replace the computer - another possible fix.

That's why I think it would be cheaper to repair and upgrade the Rotel for now. The Rotel has a simple mechanical problem where the transport is not lifting the disc into the proper position.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.