Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Hey Scrith... Question:

The Benchmark DAC1 resamples all inputs to 110K internally. The user is free to use whatever sample rate they want (44.1 most of the time, I assume, but it supports inputs of up to 192).

Yes, it does seem like a bad idea on the surface. But this is how they reduce the effect of jitter. I've owned and used Benchmark DAC1s for a couple of years and I can assure you they sound fantastic. I am currently using a Lavry DA10, which sounds very similar, perhaps a bit better to my ears, but it any event it allows me to use a jitter-prone source (computer) without resampling (which I think is a bad thing, generally).

If Benchmark ever came out with a DAC with USB input (which didn't convert to S/PDIF internally, as it should be done) I would probably buy it. If it didn't need to resample to 110K I would really want to purchase it. And if they came up with their own USB driver that supported some kind of asynchronous I/O (or a similar driver that used an Ethernet or Firewire interface) I would be the first one in line with the cash for it!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.