Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Hey Artcheng.

Yes - but he wants 6-channels for DVD-V playback downmixed to stereo pairs of AES/EBU. He would need to go with an open-architecture BRUTEFIR solution to use PC based crossovers I think - Foobar crossover plugins only work for 2-channel audio.

I think this is why he is resorting to doing the crossover functions in the Behringer DCX2496 - which will also serve as DACs.

All he would need then is a nice passive 6 gang stepped attenuator and he's away to the races.

Honestly, for linear phase FIR crossovers the Aedio ones are really cool, but for the bandpass filter you are FORCED to have the same tap setting for highpass and lowpass filters, which is contrary to many schools of thought on how to set these types of filters up. (Often, you want a different tap setting for each midband filter.)

Anyways, I am not sure that PC crossovers are going to be an easy fix for multichannel operation - and outboard digital x-overs and still likely the best bet!

Sendler buddy - chime in and let us know where your thoughts are heading with this! Very interesting topic for me anyways.

Cheers,
PResto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.