Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RAM Disk = Waste of Time

Well, I couldn't get the plug-in to work (even with the old version of Foobar...luckily I keep that installed somewhere for tests like this).

But I did install a RAM Disk program and manually converted one of my FLAC files that I often use for testing to WAV and copied it to the RAM Disk. I then started a blind test using my wife as the subject, and then a non-blind test using myself.

The FLAC file playing from the hard drive sounded EXACTLY the same as the WAV file playing from the RAM Disk to both of us.

I attribute this to the fact that I'm using a large buffer (64MB) in Foobar2000, which basically means it is playing back from RAM already anyway. Or that a hard drive works just fine, even without buffering.

I have compared a number of different products (DACs, amps, speakers, headphones, interconnect/speaker/power/digital/USB cables, USB to S/PDIF converters, power conditioners, plug-ins, file formats, Foobar2000 settings, sound driver settings, etc.) and have often heard differences. Not in this comparison. So I have concluded that this idea of using a RAM Disk in Foobar2000 (and WAV files vs. FLAC files, for that matter) is a complete waste of time. For me at least. I am equally certain that there will be people out there who insist a RAM Disk makes a difference, no matter how many other people say it doesn't. So please enjoy it if you really think it helps. :)

Test notes: The test was made using music ripped in Secure mode using EAC. The computer has been given a silencing treatment and the hard drives are regularly optimized to make sure all music files are unfragmented. The DAC is a Lavry DA10 fed by an M-Audio Audiophile USB using a Monster pro USB cable. The Lavry DA10 feeds a PS Audio GCC-250 amplifier using very high-end Cardas balanced cables with XLR connectors. The PS Audio GCC-250 amplifier has been upgraded using the new Critical Link fuses and is powered by a Black Sands Violet Z1 power cable (as is the Lavry DA10...the computer uses a PS Audio xStream Statement power cable). The speakers are Totem Acoustic Model 1 Signatures connected via a Cardas Golden Reference bi-wire 2.5m speaker cable. I also tested using Sony Qualia 010 headphones (with balanced Moon Audio Black Dragon cable) connected to a custom-built SFT Audio Dynamight aplifier (powered by PS Audio Plus power cables). I am confident that this headphone setup is as revealing of audio problems as any other used on this planet. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.