Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: More questions

Is it best to extract to FLAC or wave? (If FLAC I presume I should set it at the biggest filesize?)

FLAC is nice because it reduces the file size by about 40 percent and allows tags, which will make SlimServer work better. I'm not sure about PlexTools, but with EAC, it actually extracts to WAV first, then launches the FLAC.exe as a separate process, passing it artist, album, track name, etc for the tags. The various options to FLAC.exe give you slightly more compression in exchange for longer time to compress. The difference between the default -5 and the highest compression -8 is a few tenths of a percent more compression, but taking maybe twice as long or more. I use -6. The FLAC scheme is designed for the fastest possible decompression (playback) in exchange for slower compression (after ripping to WAV). Also, with the SB, decompression is done in the box itself, so the compression also results in less bandwidth usage of the wireless, which is nice.

And lastly the age old question, when tracks actually blend into each other how does one extract it so it plays like the original (without gaps)?

I can't speak for PlexTools, but with EAC the transition between tracks with live music albums and FLAC is perfect to my ears - no gaps at all. Nothing special needs to be done with EAC. It just works. My CD player in the program mode puts gaps between consecutive programmed tracks. This really pisses me off when listening to live albums. No such problem with the SB and FLAC. However, in the SB forums, users are reporting problems with gaps and FLAC with multiple synchronized SBs, so this might be something to consider.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: More questions - andy_c 10:42:23 09/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.