Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Got my Squeezebox...woohoo!

Some say that quality of CD drive does matter, i.e. that less errors during reading translates less time for EAC repeated ripping. I guess it is not critical. I have met a guy who used DIY external platform (sand-filled box like one used for turntable platforms)and ordinary cheap CD-R with good results. I would fo that.

Using a file server exclusivelly for Squeezebox is an excellent idea. You may place it in the other room. Also, no need for a fancy case, or sound deadening. Any minitower or even better, tower will do. I would install a powerful powersupply from a well-known manufacturer, and replace crappy $20 PSU usually found in the office PCs. Also, I wouuld invest money in nice backup power supply, they are less than $100 today. This is for the peace of mind.

Don't ever connect file server to home network or internet. If you
keep file serve unconnected, no need for Firewall, antivirus, and other parasite software. I was surprised to see that after two months my standalone music server did not need any defragmenting of the C drive, everything was neatly organised, as it was when installed. Viruses harms us twofold, by the damage they cause and by the damage caused by software guarding our PCs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.