Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: that helps, still need a little info...

Sorry for the confusion - I should have used the term interface instead of access. The PC is always accessed for the music files. The use of a SBox allows one to do this without actually having to sit in front of the PC. I spend enough time in front of a PC at work so I don’t really want to when at home, so the SBox is nice in that regard. If you don’t mind interfacing with the PC itself and if the PC is relatively close to the stereo, then using a product like the SBox seems like a bit of a waste (unless you find it’s sound output quality to be superior). Then using a more traditional soundcard (internal or external) along with a software player like Foobar makes more sense.

“What do I need to hook up the PC to the Stereo system and get GOOD sound?”

Andy mentioned a number of possible connection methods and who knows how many of them would be better than what you are doing now. Might be best if you let everyone know about your stereo system so you could get suggestions for something that would be a step up, but also something that price-wise is in line with what you have.

“If you have a squeezebox type product and you don't access your music directly from the PC, where do you access it from?(referring to one of your statements)”

Sbox does access the PC directly, again, sorry for the confusion – see above :|

“Do I need a soundcard AND a DAC? I know what DAC stands for, but where exactly does it go between the PC and means of output? Why exactly is a DAC needed?”

Not unless you find that using a separate DAC yields you better sound. Otherwise your soundcard (internal or external) will convert your digitally stored music into an analog signal that you can feed to your stereo (which is what you are doing now). The SBox has a DAC built in so you can use it or simply bypass it by sending a digital signal from its digital output to a DAC of your choice. It’s a matter of what sounds best to you and how much you want to spend. Why is a DAC needed? Somewhere along the line, that digitally stored file on your computer needs to be converted into an analog signal that can then be sent into your preamp/receiver.

Hope that clarifies things a little better. Describing your audio system and budget you are working with might help folks give you some better suggestions.

marc g. - audiophile by day, music lover by night

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: that helps, still need a little info... - marc g. 08:00:09 09/08/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.