Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

External clock

I've had a little experience with this recently.

Currently I'm running a system that has a low jitter clock in the DAC box (about an inch away from the DAC chips) driving reclocking flops that reclock the data and clocks going to the DAC chip. I also send the clock to a SB3 and feed it in inplace of the crystal. I then tapped off the I2S signals going into the SB internal DAC chip and send it to my DAC. The connection is about 1.5 feet of ribbon cable, no LVDS or any special drivers of any kind.

The interesting thing is that the sound from the analog out of the SB3 got way better when fed the low jitter clock, even though its going over an unterminated cable!

Yep if I put the clock in the SB3 it owuld probably sound even better, but I was very surprised at how big an improvement there was with an external clock. I was ready for the analog outs to sound worse because I expected the clock jitter to be terrible with the cheap and dirty connection I made.

John S.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • External clock - John Swenson 16:19:19 09/05/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.